Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Metal Trunk Makeover

Hello Everyone!!

Tonight I am going to share with you the project that has plagued my for the past week.

I kept seeing this cool pictures on pinterest where people have made over old metal trunks into coffee tables. It looked easy enough, but I couldn't find a tutorial. So when I came across a metal trunk at my local thrift shop I thought what the heck I will give it a shot.

I think I got a little overly excited about this project and I didn't think it all the way through. First thing I did was sand down the surface. Then I taped off the hardware. This was mistake number one!

So then I went spray paint happy. I used a spray paint plus primer...mistake number 2. I should have used an actual primer because the metal was so dark.

After the paint was all dried I found myself stuck trying to figure out how to paint the hardware. So without having any way to properly tape off the rest of the trunk I caved and painted it by hand. What I should have done was spray painted the hardware first and then sanded off the over spray on the trunk.

You live you learn right?

Next was trying to figure out how to attach the legs without having screws sticking through the bottom of the trunk. I didn't want to add any extra wood to the bottom or the inside so I used short screws and attached the plates upside down, then simply screwed the legs on.

I still need to reline the inside of the trunk but for now I have to move on to the bigger projects eating up space in my garage.



No comments:

Post a Comment